Thursday, April 8, 2010

After #2: The Kids' Bathroom

I really love how it turned out!! There is only one thing left to really do- some sort of simple window treatment. We don't need it for privacy, b/c the glass is opaque and the window is really high and hidden by a tree in the front yard. But, I do think some kind of white fabric in that area would look really nice and truly finish the room.

I wish I had more "before" pictures of this room, but this was all I could find.


You can see the "in progress" pics here

Here's the tile before Chris scraped and re-grouted it:


And After:


hmmm, now that I see the shower curtain in pictures, I guess I could add, "iron or steam wrinkles out of shower curtain" to the to-do list

This picture shows one of the 2 light fixtures.


shower curtain, bath mat and towels from Target


Towel rack I received as one of my birthday presents =) I was planning ahead! (though I did originally plan on putting in the downstairs bathroom, I realized we have a linen closet in there and needed it up here more.)

OK, "hang more towels on bottom rod" is going on the to-do list. I guess I'm really NOT done with this bathroom!


Ikea "sideboard" that my talented husband "hacked" and turned into a vanity!
Since I'm pretty impressed with our frugalness (is this a word?) on this project, here's a breakdown:

Ikea sideboard: $273
Sink and faucet from Overstock: $232
Polyurethane: $8
ridiculous amounts of piping to get the job done right: $30


close up of faucet in cabinet


what it looks like underneath


And this is Chris's side of the vanity (Oh, did I mention while this is the kids' bathroom, we are all four using it right now? The master bathroom is on the the "to-do list" as well, but we're going to finish up all of the areas we are currently living in before tackling that project!)


You can see both light fixtures together here.


Finally, the mirror. We reused the mirror that was already in the room. It had to be taken down, since we lost 9" of this room and that came from the wall the old vanity was on. Here are some before pics, and actually you can see the old vanity b/c the mirror is sitting on it.




After! First, I scraped a ton of old paint off the edges. It didn't all come off though and there were also a lot of scratched areas under the mirror. So, I taped off the edge and did a frosted glass look to hide the damage.(simple spray paint) It worked great, EXCEPT for the very edge where the slightly opaque frosted look didn't do the trick. So, I went back and re-taped and used a hammered aluminum spray paint to do a metal looking edge. I think for the $6 it took, it was a perfect fix!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Staci, it turned out great!!! REALLY love the sideboard and what you did with the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I love the entire thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are doing SUCH a great job! LOVE the color of the bathroom and your ideas!! Come to my house PUHLEEZE???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome!!!! Love the wall color - I know you were questioning it but I really like it! The sideboard turned out perfectly - nice work Chris! And btw Brent didn't know what I was looking at and saw a couple of the pictures (sideboard/close up of faucet) . . . after I told him what it was he's like, "wow, that's really great photography! I thought they were pictures of a hotel." =)

    ReplyDelete